Thursday, September 24, 2009

Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell


I have been taking a much needed break from life. I am back!

Summary- Riley Rose, atheist and bad girl, has been tricked into attending Spirit Ranch, a Christian camp. There she meets Dylan Kier, alumni camper and recent paraplegic, who arrives with a chip on his shoulder and a determination to perfect all of his bad habits. United in their personal suffering and in their irritation at their fellow campers, they turn the camp inside out as they question the meaning of belief systems, test their faith in each other, and ultimately settle a debate of the heart.

Thoughts- I was a bit nervous to start this book. I do not believe in god and this book starts off with Riley Rose being sent to Christian camp. I was surprised! It was a good surprise as well. This book was wonderful. It was sarcastic, shocking and there are no happy endings and rainbows in this book. Sarita was a well written, enjoyable character, Dylan was heart wrenching and Fleur was a complete bitch. I still can not sympathize with her. This story was well written and it has it's laugh out loud moments. I highly recommend it.

Overall- I loved this book. The premise was a bit scary to me, but it was done well. The writing and the character development was spot on.

Cover- I hope the cover model is not supposed to be Riley. Riley is plus size and the cover model is NOT. It's an adorable cover though.

2 comments:

  1. I recently bought this book, too, and was a little worried about religious overload. I'm perfectly fine with expressing your beliefs, but sometimes I want more of the story. Great review, by the way! I hate when the people on the cover don't look anything like the character is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. This sounds rather interesting. I might have to check it out. Nice review. And I too hate when the people on the cover do not represent the characters well!

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete